Emergency alerts to your mobile phone:
Emergency Mobile Alerts
Emergency Mobile Alerts are an alert which can be sent to your mobile phone, without needing to sign up or download an app. Most mobile phones are capable of receiving these alerts.
The Wellington Region Emergency Management Office (WREMO) will only send Emergency Mobile Alerts when there is a threat to life or significant disruption that could affect all or part of the Wellington Region.
Red Cross Hazard App
You can sign up to get emergency alerts from WREMO through the Red Cross Hazards App.
- Download the New Zealand Red Cross’ Hazards app to your mobile phone:
- Choose your notification settings
Make sure 'General Notifications' are turned on so WREMO can notify you during a life-threatening emergency. WREMO will send alerts only when personal safety is at risk. You can adjust the other notifications to only receive the ones you want.
What is the Red Cross Hazards App?
- The Red Cross Hazards App has been implemented by the New Zealand Red Cross as a platform that can send official warnings and alerts, tailored to users’ locations, as well as step-by-step guides to help households create emergency plans and prepare getaway kits.
- The app is designed to operate in large-scale emergencies when communication networks are under pressure.
- There is the option to get weather warnings from MetService and earthquake notifications from GeoNet.
- You can monitor up to five locations and choose which notifications you receive for each location.
- Other Civil Defence groups around New Zealand may send alerts, you will need to contact your local emergency management office to confirm whether they are also using the Red Cross Hazards App to send alerts.
Read the Red Cross Hazard App FAQs (New Zealand Red Cross website)