Grab bag options
Option One: Make your own Grab Bag
The most cost-effective option is making your own grab bag: Get a sturdy backpack which would be comfortable to carry a long distance, then fill it with the items you need.
Remember to change the food/water in your bag at regular intervals.
Option Two: Buy a pre-made grab bag
WREMO has partnered with Grab&Go to make getaway kits available at a reasonable price.
You will still need to add personal items such as sturdy shoes, hygiene items and your own food.
Grab&Go bags are available online (Grab&Go website)
They are also available from many retail outlets around the Wellington Region.
Grab bag items:
Must-have essential items
- Face-covering or mask
- Water and water purification tablets
- Walking shoes
- First aid kit
- Any medication you rely on, along with a copy of the prescription
- Rain jacket and poncho
- Emergency blanket
- Radio (battery or wind-up)
- Notebook and pen
- Baby supplies
- Pet supplies
Useful 'should-have' items
- Spare underwear
- A printed copy of identification
- Phone charger
- Dust mask
- Extra batteries
- Hand sanitizer
'Nice to have' items
- Entertainment (pack of cards, book, music player, etc)
- Glow sticks
- Flash drive with photos of all the rooms and contents
- Small shovel
- Hi-vis vest
- Swiss army knife
- Waste disposal bags